Why do I watch movies?

Why am I drawn to the movies? Why do I flock to the various theaters spread across the city week after week? What do I get in those 2 hours that I can shun the real world with all happiness? Who are those other people filling up the rest of the seats in the theater? These questions, every now and then, pop up from nowhere and make me wonder. so, I'll jot down a few things that have occurred to me over the past few years.

1. Life and movies: I find movies reflecting the life around me in some way or the other. Sometimes they are a saga of the triumph of the Human Spirit. Sometimes they depict the complex interplay between Man and Woman. Another time they paint the picture of humungous imagination (All those sci-fi flicks). Still another time, they paint human misery in such realistic colours that one is forced to take stock and realize how lucky one is not facing that same situation (war flicks, Black??).

2. The Craft: I am intrigued by the craft - the camerawork, the direction, the acting, the audience. I might even have some talent for it. But I would probably make no difference.

3. The entertainment factor: Every now and then I get bored stiff from the mundane life I lead and hence find the idea of escaping to a more glitzy or least different world painted by someone else alluring.

So, for me movies are way to soar, aspire, imagine and yes, get thoroughly entertained. For me, movies are a way to stay grounded. They are also the packets of hope I buy when my stock runs out. They sometimes make me see reason for the alternative life I lead. These are some of my reasons. You will have yours too. We all wear different glasses. But probably, my glasses are the ones they give out for the 3-D movies :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Foot-in-Mouth

My Cup of Eleven

Who's Acting Strange??