Guru kee Ma(y)ya

While the wife cooks me Sunday afternoon lunch, I am trying to pin down my thoughts on Guru. Pin down, yes... that's it, that's the reason. Guru doesn't leave you uncomfortable, neither here, nor there but comfortably in between. That should account for my lack of strong sense of either acceptance or rejection or invigoration or dejection or liking. Speaking of liking it, yes I did like the film. The experience was pleasant. That's what the film amounts to.. pleasant. And pleasant is gooood :-). The story of a lone crusader rising from the ashes to claim the top prize is not new. But the touch of reality makes it all too believable. And the references to the real person are not concealed either.

(Ah... Writing after a long time does leave one searching for correct words..) :-/

Direction was good. I do not understand the need for song placements where they are not required. But amazing rain shots. As usual, in this directors case, I guess. Reminded me of Bombay. And rain song, of course. Choreography and camera work were good. The camera work/shot arrangement gave a familiar feel (Yuva/Bombay). One of the songs seemed like Kehna Hi Kya from bombay both in sound arrangement and choreo.

The music, of course by Rehman, seemed a bit repetitive as well, again Bombay and Yuva. Nothing new there. Yes, as the closing credits rolled, I did manage to spot the obvious similarity between track playing and Michael Jackson's, Dangerous. Not that I am complaining. I love Dangerous. And yes , I don't remember a single song. Neither my wife. So, there goes....

Gulzar saab, I am sorry. But I don't seem to comprehend, what you write these days. Must be good, eh.. Ab fir Barso Re.

Menon Jee, Lets cut down on those jerks. But good job otherwise. Good overhead shots. Good closeup (Abhishek with head tilted).

Locales.. good. The initial Turkey shots somehow reminded me of The Godfather. Don Michael Corleone in Sicily. Good earthy flavour to the set ups. But what do those round, typically south, cane fisherman boats doing in the Barso Re song? I felt I was down south with a Gujrati pair in tow.

Dialogues were OK. They fit the situations fairly comfortably. So, I am ok with that. And Abhishek pulled off the dialogues fairly competently. Good actually. The same dialogues, from his Dad's mouth might have reduced the character to a caricature. Amitabh needs something better to match his talent. Here, the talent and the dialogues were more in sync.

Now, the acting. Hmm... I actually liked Ashwarya for a change. Not dough but Not plastic either. And efficient as well. So, well done Ms. Rai or Mrs Bachchan.. oops ..;-). That brings me to Mr. Bachchan. Yes, this might be his better/finer performances. I liked him. I am already over my disappointment about his limited capabilities long ago. And I'd happily settle for this. Good Job, Junior. Dad would be proud. He actually reminded me of Amitabh in some scenes, not that he is anywhere close. But good enough for me. I just sometimes think how a bit more girth in his voice would have made him so much more complete. And by that I mean his Dad of course. Now talking of senior Bachchan, there is one man who would always hold his own against him. And Mithun Da, doesn't disappoint. To me, his was easily the best/seasoned performance of all. But wasn't it expected? I would have been disappointed if it wasn't so. The hardness, the steel, the vulnerability were all there. The man is still alive and well.

So, all in all, a good watch. Not thought provoking but inspiring enough. Some grey shades of the character were explored as well. But the film succeeds in bringing out the one main thing it aims to impart, the winning spirit, the never say die attitude and the courage to dream big. Grey or black aside, those were also the make up of the character and probably the man in question. So, go ahead, have a peek in Guru's life.

PS: Sherawat girl sizzles ;-)

Comments

J Ramanand said…
ah, you're back :-)
nice to read the views.
Anonymous said…
Good for people to know.

Popular posts from this blog

Foot-in-Mouth

My Cup of Eleven

Who's Acting Strange??